Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Teamwork Makes the Dream Work (October newsletter)

I can't believe October is halfway over- we're almost two months in! These last two months have gone quickly, but you know what they say- time flies when you're having fun. And it's hard not to have fun with a team like mine!


With only five of us, it's easy for all of us to be close and form solid friendships with each other. In the short seven weeks that I've known my teammates, I've learned so much about them, the world, and even myself. Let me tell you a little bit about my teammates so you know some things about the people I call family here in Chicago.

First we have Abi, who at 18 is the youngest, but also the most motherly. She is from Indianapolis, IN. Abi works at Lawndale Christian Health Center, and helps out with a Sunday School class at church. She loves kids and has the most contagious laugh, and is probably the most visually artistic one of us.

Then we have Andrew, who is 20 and from Seattle. Andrew also works at LCHC in the Marketing department. He also loves kids and has an incredible talent and passion for music, style, and justice. The way he sees the world continues to inspire me every day.

Next we have Sterling, who will be 22 in just a week! He's from "The greatest city on Earth...City of fountains...home of the 2015 world champion Royals and the Kansas City Chiefs...Go Chiefs." Sterling works at YMEN, or Young Mens Educational Network. He is an amazing chef and Trivial Pursuit champ.

Last but not least, we have our team leader, Victoria. Victoria is 24 and from Santa Cruz. She also works at LCHC, doing social work in the maternal health department. Her passion for social justice and Christian-based community development is motivational to me. We have connected over musicals and we often have the same random thoughts.

Every team member has a different personality type, making every day conversations, decisions, and challenges interesting, but I wouldn't trade my team for anything... (Okay, maybe sometimes I would but you get it.)

Now that I've mentioned where my team is working, I realize not many people know where I'm working! I work at Erie Neighborhood House here in Little Village. In the mornings I do a lot of data entry and research, but soon I'll be teaching a conversation class with the ESL students once a week. Once school lets out, I help with a program called READS, which helps first-third graders with literacy skills. I work in the computer lab, and I am so blessed by my time with th
e kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment